Sunday, September 13, 2009

No Television and Fresh Chicken

There comes a time in everyone's life when the unthinkable happens, the cable goes out. It is at this time one's true patience is tested. Not only is your patience tested by being required to find alternative activities to watching television, but also and maybe more so the call you must make to the cable provider. Well this time for me was this weekend. Not only had the cable gone out but my husband had gone away for the weekend. Luckily most of my Saturday was filled with waffle making and Gator football, but aside from that I had no plans for the weekend. I then decided that it was time to begin throwing myself on any friends that had a glimmer of plans. This is where the fresh chicken makes its appearance. Sunday morning I woke up and decided that I should throw myself into a friend's plans. I woke up and drove over to her house which in shall we say a more agricultural area of this beautiful state. I pull up in the yard and her son runs over with nothing else then a freshly murdered chicken. Being from the city I had never seen a chicken so recently slaughtered. I thought chicken came already processed, no feathers, and in plastic wrap. I proceeded to the chicken butchering area (the tailgate of a white ford pick up) only to see all the parts of the chicken I believe are usually pickled and only served at gas stations with poor lighting. After seeing the lifeless chicken we knew we had to get out of there. So where does one go after witnessing such a trauma....Wal-Mart. Once arriving at Wal-Mart, getting groceries, and accidentally causing a 4 wheel chair pileup we proceed back to the house for some home smoked chicken. Despite the complete horror of witnessing chickens I had seen raised from cute little fluffy chicks get their necks snapped it did make for a delicious dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment