Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Boredom

Boredom is such a weird emotion. One I rarely find myself having to deal with. Between ESE consults, lesson plans, grading papers, team leadership, flat tires, and my loving husband I can pretty much avoid boredom. However, last night I found myself wrestling with this emotion. As you already know if you have been keeping up with the blog my television satellite was out (fixed today though). And I had executively decided not to bring any school work home with me, and therefore eliminated much of my nightly to do list. I figured with the flat tire situation and cooking a home cooked meal I could manage to fill at least a few hours until 9:30 at which time I would go to bed. Well at about 8:30 I discovered all was done. The dishes from the home cooked chicken pot pie were securely in the dishwasher and the flat tire situation all cleared up, thanks to my husband. It was at this time I decided that Tyler and I would play a board game. We all piled into the game room (my husband, our two dogs, and I) and settled in for a board game. I then realized that most of the board games which we would both be interested in playing (lots of our games are off limits due to the fact that my husband has made me cry while we were playing them) were games that would take at least an hour or more to complete. I then found myself playing self created dice games with my husband. At no point in my life did I think I would be bored enough to sit for 20 minutes throwing dice across the table at my husband trying to knock over a tower of dice he had built. When one finds them self in this position on must take stock of one's life. I looked around and began to worry about my mental state. I began to think of friend's lost that I might be spending time with. I thought of Alabama, and what we would be doing if we stilled lived there in our tiny apartment. It was then I realized that I love my life. I have everything I need. A loving husband who despite half read books he would like to finish and almost completed writings is willing to sit and throw dice at me for 20 minutes. Two dogs who are occasionally a bit disobedient. A house where I feel at home, a family a mere 8 hours away who loves me for who I am, and a best friend who would do anything for me. So even though I don't like to be bored, I am glad I had the opportunity to appreciate what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment