Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rain

My OCD doesn't allow me to go outside and play in the rain. I just really can't handle wet clothing. However, I really love the idea of standing in the rain. I have always compared true acceptance to running through the rain. There is a point when you are running through the rain that you realize you are going to get soaked. There is no point to run anymore. Your hair has water droplets dripping off the ends soaking the back of your shirt. Your socks are already squishing and your pants are sticking to your legs. It is then you stop running and start walking. Maybe you even splash through a few puddles and reminisce over your childhood. You think back to the time you were walking home from the bus stop and the bottom dropped out. You walked all the way home thinking about the refreshing quality of rain. I have always loved rain. Tonight I will put my pajamas on, curl up on the couch, and relax to the refreshing sound of rain.




I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.
I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

Shel Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment