Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wally World

When you live in a small town you learn to live without certain luxuries. One of which is Wal-Mart. The town I grew up in is not so small now but when I was growing up was by most considered small. We however were blessed with a Wal-Mart, but it wasn't a super. I remember when a super Wal-Mart opened 30 miles north of us and we all piled into the car to go see the bright lights of this new Wal-Mart. I remember my astonishment to find groceries, and wondering how my sister could possibly be asleep in the cart during this eye opening experience. Well I now live in a small town. Much smaller than the town I grew up in, and we are without Wal-Mart. When first moving to this town it was hard times. What was I going to do without this modern day staple. I would have to drive 22 miles to the nearest blue paradise. But as time dragged on I learned to live without it and in the process finding myself saving money. Today after dropping Tyler off at the airport I was faced with the decision of what to do by myself for the afternoon. There were many great choices...homework, grading papers, cleaning...but then I saw it. It was the beautiful green (formally blue) heaven of Wal-Mart. I thought to myself...self...what would it hurt to browse a few aisles? I needed to get a few items for my secret pal at work and I thought she might be tired of my Dollar General finds so I decided to stop in. I found a front row parking place so I knew it was meant to be. I walked in and there was the familiar smell that had welcomed me so many times before. I shopped and shopped. I walked up and down all the aisles. I love my husband but I do have to admit it was nice to wander the store throwing things in the cart knowing he wouldn't be home to stare down my purchases. I was enjoying my time there and was headed to the check out when I realized that I had found nothing for my secret pal. I returned to the sea of merchandise on a mission. It was then when I remembered why I don't go to Wal-Mart anymore. I can save much more money by not surrounding myself with "discount" merchandise. So I have my fix now. I will cling tight to my unnecessary purchases until another day when I am feeling weak and I once again must feed my addiction....maybe a support group is in order.

In other news Blake is safely in Vegas with Tyler soon to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Just come home and go to the one in Gdale.....it is currently undergoing remodeling and you can't find anything....that will take care of your "fix" for a long time!

    ReplyDelete