Saturday, November 28, 2009

Leaving Home to go Home

I am stealing the title of this blog from a post my brother in law made when he was leaving the Navy. I read his post many times thinking he should be excited to return to a quiet apartment, a comfortable bed, and his family. However, I now understand what he meant. I have been at my parents' house in Alabama for a week now. I have spent days enjoying my family. I have truly had a great time. I even got to spend Thanksgiving with 25 of my family members I rarely see. Though I have spent this week doing lots of fun things I have been missing my husband and dogs who had to stay behind in Florida. It is a strange feeling being home yet missing home. I am often reminded of how far away I am from my family when I say "I am going home this weekend". Someone will then look at me perplexed and say something like "Your home is in Florida now", or "Aren't you going home after work."It is hard to explain to someone who has lived right down the road from their family their whole life how the two homes works. I think I might be beginning to understand how children of divorced parents feel. Tonight I am packing. My dad will take me to Atlanta in the morning and I will return to my Florida home glad to see my husband and taking with me many memories of my Alabama home looking forward to returning very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment