Thursday, November 19, 2009

Clean House

Have you ever been to someone's house only to be met by the homeowner at the door saying, "Sorry my house is so messy." Or "I have just been so busy I haven't found time to clean the house." Or even "I hope you won't mind the mess." It is then that you enter their house to the smell of Lysol, Windex, apple cinnamon candles, and freshly baked cookies. It is then that you decide never to invite this person to your house. I have had this happen on many occasions. It is an awkward situation. Do you say, "Oh don't worry it won't bother me." Or "What mess?" Or maybe something a little sarcastic like "You are right, this place is such a dumb."? I however have never really had the chance to say these things to house guests. In fact I am the one that moves over laundry on the couch to find you a place to sit. I am the one who only opens the refrigerator 4 inches so that you won't see my disorganization. Today, however, my house is clean. I am having company on Saturday and I am thinking of meeting them at the door and apologizing for a mess that doesn't exist. But I have realized that is just not my style. My husband and I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 hours cleaning our house, and I want people to notice. I want people to say, "Wow, you didn't have to clean for us." Or "I never noticed you had carpet, I thought your floor was made out of clean laundry." I am now faced with a dilemma. What will I say when people arrive and stand astonished that you can actually see my furniture? I think I will say, "Welcome, feel free to keep your shoes on. Put your feet on the couch. Just leave your dishes in the sink. I will get to it eventually. Oh, you spilled grape juice on the floor. Don't worry, the dog will lick it up, and what he doesn't get will serve as a reminder of the fun times with friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment